DTM in 90s – best racing series ever

As a kid, I was an avid viewer of DTM races, often watching them with my brother on weekends. The cars that raced there – the Mercedes 190, BMW M3, and Audi V8 – provided an unparalleled adrenaline rush. The races were packed with excitement, featuring constant overtakes, and the outcome was always uncertain until the very end. We eagerly anticipated the start of each race, settling into our seats together, ready to commentate on the action. Sometimes, our mom would even bring us lunch, and we’d spend around 2 hours each weekend engrossed in the races.

However, when the cars started to change, with Mercedes introducing the C-Class into the races, DTM lost some of its allure. It was the era dominated by Bernd Schneider, though I’ll never forget the earlier battles with Klaus Ludwig in the 190 – moments that will stay with me for a lifetime. No other sport or discipline mattered; it was all about DTM.

I write this with a tinge of disappointment towards Formula 1. For years now, Formula 1 has simply been dull. Exciting moments in each race can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Formula 1 has become clinical, almost surgical in its precision. It seems to me that the new generation of drivers, like Hamilton and Verstappen, aren’t as daring as the likes of Senna or Schumacher.